Sunday, December 5, 2010

German christmas traditions


My husband and me @Christmas


 The more I travel, the more I realize how much I value certain traditions that seem to validate and appreciate a certain season or culture. It doesn't make a difference if you're from Berlin, Havana, London, Los Angeles or a tiny village in Timbuktu- we are all human and want to belong. The fun thing is discovering how different habits, upbringings and even our means affect us.

Living in Los Angeles for a while now, I must admit I begin to miss certain cultural things I grew up with and took for granted my entire life. German traditions that is. Walking into a Berlin apartment during christmas season just reminded me of that: Beautifully decorated with soft filt stars, tasteful christmas lights and, most importantly, our typical advent wreathe, the room instantly spread a lot of warmth and started to calm me down in a magical way!

For those who have never heard or even seen such a thing as a "advent wreathe": It's a twig with four big red candles on it- lit one after the other on the four sundays before christmas eve. A cute and widely performed tradition in my country. Almost as popular as our advent calendar (a board with little numbered doors that are opened between the 1st and 24th of december to enjoy the little candy behind it)- both unheard of traditions to any other country, but filling our german hearts with warmth year after year!

Did anybody realize how funny traditions actually are? Humans that grew up with it love & maintain them, people that never experienced them don't miss anything because they wouldn't know what. Well, I guess I'm used to them! I find that our German ways add a cozy, warm and appreciative touch to things I want to remind myself of next year. Feel free to ask for more inspiration! I'll do my best to make a list.

German advent wreathe
Going for dinner and a queer cabaret in berlin now...- another thing you just have to do.

Your HollywoodNista

No comments:

Post a Comment